Thursday, April 18, 2013

In which I pull up a tiny piece of concrete and it weighs a lot!


 I have arrived at the much dreaded task of pulling up the floor in the basement.  With my trusty crowbar and hammer, I pulled up a 50 lb section of floor that measures about 2 feet by 1 foot and is, unfortunately, 4" thick.  Needless to say, I exhausted my back with that one feat of strength and I had to call it quits until I get the proper tools, ie back brace and knee pads.  Our favorite contractor is coming over soon with his concrete saw, which should be a good time!

I am hoping that the floor is not as thick at the front of the building where the granite ledge is.  We will try and use the flooring bits as fill out back rather than try and dispose of them for $90 a ton.  We have just filled our fourth dumpster with old wood and plaster bits with each weighing an average of 2.5 tons a piece...meaning that we have removed about 10 tons of material from the building already.  


No comments: